Fall Softcrosse (Apex)
Ages: Kindergarten-2nd Grade & 3rd-5th grade.
Dates: Sundays Sep 9 - Oct 14 (six weeks)
Details: Parish Athletics Softcrosse is designed for beginners to intermediate players who want to learn the fundamentals of Lacrosse with a focus on stick skills, e.g., catching, throwing, ground balls and cradling. There is no hitting or stick checks, we use soft lax balls, and play without pads thus keeping the cost of player’s equipment to a minimum.
Age groups will practice together and scrimmage for an hour each.
Required Equipment: stick and mouthguard
The Basics of Softcross
- No stick checks, stick contact or body contact.
- Only one player from each team may contest the ball.
- The stick cannot be used to interfere with or obstruct another player.
- Players may not ‘goal tend’ or guard the goal. No players are allowed to stand within 1.5m of the goal (Goal Circle).
- Players must keep two hands on the stick at all times when contesting the ball.
- There must be 3 thrown passes before the team can shoot a goal. Any touch or catch by the opposition
team cancels the count.
- Players may have possession of the ball for 5 seconds only.
- Players are permitted to run as far as they like with the ball, provided they maintain possession for no longer
than 5 seconds.
- If the ball goes out of bounds, the opposition teams takes a pass from the boundary line.